August 14, 2022

LND balance oscillates all the time

It took me a while to notice… I was refreshing the Lightning Terminal window to see if I get new routed payments through the node, and then I saw that the balance was going down steadily a couple hundred sats at a time… At first I thought "What the hell? Why does my balance steadily go down? Is there a bug that leads to me losing sats?"… Then it went up again…

Hmmmmm???

Live and learn… Apparently, LND keeps track of the average on-chain fees and adjusts the reserved amount of sats in each channel to be able to force close them in case of emergency… It works as intended, it's not a bug and it's not hacked… The state of the mempool changes with each new block mined, therefore the reserved amount changes as well… I think I even saw a "fee estimation method" setting in LND… And the more channels you have open the bigger the visible changes in your total balance will be…

I was worried for no reason…

No comments:

Post a Comment